Monday, November 11, 2013

The Ministry is truly bitterSWEET . . .

I heard a preacher in Toledo, OH tell me two things that have always stuck with me. Pastor Rick Sowell from Hope Baptist Church said once that "the ministry is truly bitter sweet. Thankfully the sweet far outweighs the bitter!" He also said, "Being in the ministry is like juggling pineapples, whether you do it right or whether you make mistakes it still hurts." It's funny the things people say that seem to be emblazen on your mind for years to come. He is right you know. Juggling pineapples, while it may be fun and neat looking, does occasionally hurt. The ministry is also bitter - people are mean, they are hateful, they try to destroy what you are spending your life to accomplish, they reject you and the truth you are offering them, they backbite all the while to your face saying how great you are, they don't do what you want them to do, they don't get saved when you want them to, they don't grow as quick as you want them to, they try to purposefully hurt you, but you know, the ministry is also SO SWEET! People do get saved and boy is that exciting when they do! They do grow and make right choices, and whole families are changed because one person make a right decision! They become more like Christ, they accept the truth God laid on your heart and heed the warnings from the bible. I am thankful the sweet far outweighs the bitter! 

You see God working in miraculous ways. You see him doing amazing things! I am a optimistic kind of person, sure the glass is half empty but honestly aren't you glad there's something in the glass and that glass, isn't it pretty? Aren't you glad you have a glass? I could go on, but you get my point. Being in the ministry is fun! I wouldn't trade it for the world! I wouldn't trade it for nice vacations, a big house, designer clothes for my family! I wouldn't even trade it for those pairs of boots I really want from khols! 

This past week I was presented with a bitter part of the ministry. I won't go into the details because honestly they don't bear repeating but someone did something terrible to our church. Someone did something awful to our people! Someone who had once said they loved our church and had given their life to serve our church is now trying to destroy it. I was sad for my people. I was mad at this wicked person. I was angry that he was allowed to do this! I was indignant that he would treat the bride of Christ this way! I was scared that it might affect our church and cause people to become so discouraged they leave! I was terrified that the whole thing might fall apart. I had a lack of faith and Satan capitalized on that! He caused me to doubt and worry and be even more scared! Then in the midst of all these thoughts raging through my mind God asked me, in a still small voice if I was going to thank God for this horrible man and this wicked act he has done against our church. I was aghast! Me, thank God for THIS man!?! I quickly reminded God how terrible this man was and God reminded me of the verse that says "in everything give thanks". "EVEN FOR THIS?!?" I silently yelled to God. He quietly said Yes. Then God reminded me that I was able to thank him just moments after breaking my foot for breaking my foot even though I did not know how God was going to take care of it! And God reminded me how thankful I was after all was said and done and how He got great glory and I was changed to be more like Him for breaking my foot! I continued to wrestle with God and didn't really want to thank Him for this terribly horrible person and their wicked deed. Then I bowed my head and with tears streaming down my face I prayed and asked God to forgive me for my bad attitude. For not trusting Him. I thanked God for this person and their deed. I knew that when God got the victory I was going to thank God then so I knew I needed to start thanking God now. I was amazed when I felt such peace wash over me. I was shocked that I felt so much better. I knew in my heart that it was going to be ok. I was reminded that God is in control. He created this person, He didn't kill this person before they could commit this terrible act therefore He allowed this to happen and he was going to take care of this! Oh I still pray every day that God will remember this man and his wicked deed, but I don't have hate in my heart toward him. I feel sorry for him. I have peace because I know God is in control and He is always right and He is always good and He is going to do something great! For crying out loud, he has done amazing things in our church lately and He is going to continue to do that! I know that even though this wicked man may think he is in control, he is not. I am reminded that my God is able to do exceeding abundantly above all I ask or can even think! I know that God is going to work something out and I'm not scared. Now because I've thanked him and gotten right with God, I'm not scared anymore, I'm actually excited about what God is going to do and how He is going to work! 

So what are you going through? God is in control. Sometimes we have to know what we know, because what we feel isn't what we know. Know that God is in control. As hard as it is, genuinely thank Him for the problem He allowed in your life. Ask Him to help you and to teach you! Ask Him to keep you close to Him! Ask Him to use this problem to make you more like Him! You will be glad you started out that way, then waiting till it was all done. 

No comments: